You are here:

Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Experts

ExpertAverage RatingsExpertise

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

Eric R. Eaton

I can answer most questions related to the identification of "mystery bugs" in NORTH AMERICA, including spiders. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Walter Hintz

I can answer any questions about insects and spiders.

Jessica Mellinger

I can answer questions about invertebrates native to California, including insects commonly found in homes. If you have an identification request, please attach a photo to your question.

Sue Kayton

Silkworm expert. Have raised them as a hobby for 20 years. I do not identify unknown insects.

Ed Saugstad

On Vacation
returns 09/07/2015
Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

Recent Answers

2015-09-01 Need help with identification:

Hi Bill   The differences in these small brown moths is so subtle that it is very hard to identify a moth from a photo. I believe it is a member of the Family Geometridae. It resembles  a canker worm moth

2015-08-31 caterpillar:

Teresa,    I'm not sure what your question is about. Do you want to raise this caterpillar to the adult stage? If this is the question you'll need to determine what kind of caterpillar it is so that you

2015-08-31 Larvae id:

Hi Shirley   As you have discovered ot is very to difficult to identify maggots and I am sure this a fly maggot. They only thing I can suggest if tis still alive is to put in a closed container and let

2015-08-29 identify this mite please:

Eileen,    This is a springtail (Collembola) not a mite, see for a close-up picture. They don't bite nor do they cause any sort of allergic reaction. The

2015-08-29 unknown:

Dear Guadalupe - Your image is not clear enough for me to be certain, but this could be a bird or rodent mite. These mites will bite humans when their normal hosts are absent, and their bites can be quite

More Answers in Category Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


©2015 All rights reserved.