You are here:

Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Experts

ExpertAverage RatingsExpertise

Aniruddha Dhamorikar

I will answer general identification questions about insects and spiders ONLY from India. I cannot guarantee specific identification (of species), but I will try my best! If I do not have the answer, I will get back to you on the right answer as soon as possible.

Jessica Mellinger

I can answer questions about invertebrates native to California, including insects commonly found in homes. If you have an identification request, please attach a photo to your question.

Eric R. Eaton

I can answer most questions related to the identification of "mystery bugs" in NORTH AMERICA, including spiders. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. No technical questions about insect physiology.

Sue Kayton

Silkworm expert. Have raised them as a hobby for 20 years. I do not identify unknown insects.

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

Walter Hintz

I can answer any questions about insects and spiders.

Nathan Riggs

I currently live in San Antonio, TX and have expertise in identifying insects, many types of spiders, and other arthropod critters that infest lawns, ornamentals, structures, trees, pets and livestock. Mites are not a strong point of mine. I'm not a licensed doctor, so I cannot provide medical diagnosis of conditions possibly related to insects or other arthropods. If you've got an interesting photo for me to see, attach it to your question, or let me know and I'll give you my email so the picture will get to me. If you have hosted an insect photo on a website, please include the link so I can go look at it and provide a faster ID for you.

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

Recent Answers

2014-07-30 wasp or bee?:

Hi Carla   This is a solitary wasp. It is a female Cicada Killer  in search of prey. They are not aggressive. Have you had some cicadas hatch there lately. Once she capture he prey she will bury it in

2014-07-30 Leafhopper ID:

Dear Jonathan - This is a type of leafhopper (Hemiptera/Auchenorrhyncha: Cicadellidae) known as a sharpshooter (subfamily Cicadellinae). It looks to me more like a member of the genus Oncometopia than

2014-07-30 new type of wasp:

Hello Dustin,    You have Four-toothed Mason Wasps (Monobia quadridens), and yes they can inflict some pain. Often they are not nuisances and will leave you alone. However, the swelling your father experienced

2014-07-29 Caterpillar I'd?:

Hi, Rhonda:    I am not very good with caterpillars, but I can tell you this is *not* a caterpillar.  It is the larva of a sawfly, a type of (stingless) wasp.  Host plant is always helpful with those when

2014-07-29 I was bitten:

Steven:    This is a species of wasp called an Ichneumon. These wasps are parasites of caterpillars, laying their eggs inside of them.     They are not aggressive and harmless to humans and animals, but

More Answers in Category Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


©2014 All rights reserved.