You are here:

Nonprofit Law/Experts

ExpertAverage RatingsExpertise

Harvey Mechanic

On Vacation
returns 10/02/2016
I am an attorney and I volunteer time to answer general questions about U.S. Federal income tax issues of nonprofit 501(c)(3) public charities only. Those questions could be about establishing and maintaining legal requirements for such non-profit organizations in the United States, including Internal Revenue service filings and requirements. I will not be working on this free forum to answer questions about Nonprofit's possible unrelated or for-profit businesses or how to fill out forms. This forum is only for general questions about federal tax law, not as the law applies to your specific situation. If you do not make your question public then I will not be spending much of my donated time on answers that would not benefit the public. If you have other questions, please contact me at I will reply from my email. In any case, do not reveal confidential information to me until after I have contracted with you to provide personal legal services. My responses on this forum are intended to be general statements of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, and do not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law .....

Recent Answers

2016-09-14 Gross Receipt Calculation:

By using the phrase "contribution towards" it appears that the donation is made in cash (or check). Even though the donor may have earmarked the use of the funds, the donation is considered a cash donation

2016-09-09 PTO donation to a student?:

Generally, a 501(c)(3) organization may give grants to or for the benefit of individuals who are what the IRS calls charitable beneficiaries.  Low-income students are in the class of charitable beneficiaries

2016-09-06 Proxy voting for non-profit organizations:

I will assume that your organization has not been established under the New York religious corporation law nor does it provide for religious activities of worship for groups of people (and, thereby treated

2016-09-04 509(a)(2):

A 509(a)(2), is not a private foundation.  A private foundation completes the Form 990-PF, whereas the 501(c)(3) organizations that are not private foundations, but are public charities, complete the Form

2016-09-04 509(a)(2):

You can put in the name and state in the IRS site at and you will see, if, as highlighted in the search they "Are eligible to receive tax-deductible charitable contributions".  If

More Answers in Category Nonprofit Law

Nonprofit Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


©2016 All rights reserved.