Family Relations/Expert Profile

Ask A Question

Bruce Borkosky, Psy.D.


Follow me on:


questions framed similarly to 'what are some ways to respond when someone does/says X' are best. Questions posed in the form of 'why does my father do/say Y', or 'how would you diagnose my mother when she does/says Z' are difficult, if not impossible, to answer. I will probably reframe your question to fit the first question (what do I do). Nay question regarding any family member is fair game. Some of the most difficult are in the area of step-parenting and divorcing families.

Experience in the area

I've been a licensed psychologist in Florida since 1994. I've evaluated and/or treated thousands of patients.


American Psychological Association Florida Psychological association National Register of Health Service Providers in Psychology



Psy.D., Miami Institute of Psychology, 1993 M.CS., U. of Dayton, 1984 B.A., Ohio Wesleyan U., 1978

Awards and Honors

Award for Years of Dedicated Service, Palm Beach County Legal Aid Society, 1999

What do you like about this subject?

the hugely complex nature of family relationships creates an endless variety of both problems and opportunities.

Something controversial or provocative about this subject

We still don't know how to define child abuse or neglect very well, and know even less about how to predict it or treat it.

This expert accepts donations:      

Average Ratings

Recent Reviews from Users

Read More Comments

    K = Knowledgeability    C = Clarity of Response    P = Politeness
Karen08/10/16101010Thank you for your fast response.
Connie07/04/16101010VERY quick response. Thank u very much .....
Jared10/26/15101010Thank you for your advice on this .....

Recent Answers from Bruce Borkosky, Psy.D.

2017-02-19 Re: Dealing with Mom:

Hi, Andrew, you asked "Do you feel that it's justified to never really expect rent, then take a home away if her finances aren't being met?"    This is not a psychological question, but I will offer you

2016-12-30 Awful Father:

Hi, Austin, thanks for your question. Yes, it is a difficult place to be - when you have more enlightenment than your parents. Or, put it another way, when you can see that the emperor has no clothes,

2016-11-15 Dealing with difficult sibling:

Give him 30 days to move out. If he has not moved out at then end of 30 days, have the police forcibly remove him. It's harsh, yes, but there is no way you are going to change a 30 year old adult. Given

2016-11-02 Family Disfunction:

"ignore the behavior that I perceive as selfish or lazy"    ---- you have given yourself good advice, IMO. First, you don't have permission to give them advice, so why would you? 2nd, since they are not

2016-11-02 Family Disfunction:

Hi, Lulu, thanks for your question. You wanted "advice on how I can manage my own behavior."    "My older sibling currently works for me, but refuses to act as if he is at a real job. I have to constantly


Ask A Question

Family Relations

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


©2017 All rights reserved.