Nonprofit Law/Expert Profile

Ask A Question


I am an attorney and I volunteer time to answer general questions about U.S. Federal income tax issues of nonprofit 501(c)(3) public charities only. Those questions could be about establishing and maintaining legal requirements for such non-profit organizations in the United States, including Internal Revenue service filings and requirements. I will not be working on this free forum to answer questions about Nonprofit's possible unrelated or for-profit businesses or how to fill out forms. This forum is only for general questions about federal tax law, not as the law applies to your specific situation. If you make your question public then I tend to spend more time on answers to benefit the public. If you have other questions, please contact me at I will reply from my email. In any case, do not reveal confidential information to me until after I have contracted with you to provide personal legal services. My responses on this forum are intended to be general statements of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, and do not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather extensive information about the situation. To search my previous answers you can do a Google search by "" without the quotes and then add your search terms before hitting enter.

Experience in the area

I have been practicing law and especially the law of nonprofit organizations since 1990 when I was admitted to the New York Bar and I have maintained my status with the Bar since that time.


B.S. Columbia University in New York City, 1970

J.D. (Law Degree) Brooklyn Law School, 1990 -- Cum Laude.

Average Ratings

Recent Reviews from Users

Read More Comments

    K = Knowledgeability    C = Clarity of Response    P = Politeness
Lisa08/28/15101010Mr. Mechanic was extremely responsive, polite, obviously .....
walter08/27/15101010Great. Thank you
Kim08/26/15101010My question was answered immediately! Thank you .....
Victoria08/12/151010Thank you for your quick assistance!
Kelly08/12/15101010Thank you for the thorough and clear .....

Recent Answers from Harvey Mechanic

2015-08-26 Non Profit vs Taxes:

I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions about IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. I am assuming that the land owner is such an organization.  If such

2015-08-26 Grants for Non-school activities:

A booster organization may give grants to assist youth in different athletic leagues unless it has, by contract, agreed only to fund school related activities. My summary of IRS regulations relating to

2015-08-25 Profitable Ventures for 501(c)(3):

It appears that the 501(c)(3) organization would be borrowing money from a donor who would be paid back, under some contingencies, without interest.  That part is fine.  However, as to the venture itself

2015-08-20 Team Bank Accounts:

As to recordkeeping, see pdf page 17-19 of the IRS Publication  4221-pc "Compliance Guide for 501(c)(3) Public Charities" which is  available at for on pdf  page

2015-08-16 501c3 booster club:

There is no good reason why the booster organization should allow the for-profit gym to make any profit on the sale of those items especially because they are getting free publicity (with their logo).


Ask A Question

Nonprofit Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


©2015 All rights reserved.