Retirement Planning/Expert Profile


On Vacation
returns 12/31/2017

I can answer questions about Social Security eligibility, benefits and income taxation. I cannot answer questions about employer pensions, 401(k)s, IRAs or other private retirement funds.

Experience in the area

During my career, I counseled the elderly about Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid benefits.


B.A., Bowdoin College, History and French M.S., University of Southern Maine, Health Policy and Management J.D., New York University School of Law

Average Ratings

Recent Reviews from Users

Read More Comments

    K = Knowledgeability    C = Clarity of Response    P = Politeness
James02/02/17101010Thanks for your help. Much appreciated!
Johnnie01/13/16101010Thanks, so much for the help. I .....

Recent Answers from Michelle

2017-02-18 Disabilty benefit to Social Security:

If I get Social Security disability benefits and I reach full retirement age, will I then receive retirement benefits?    Social Security disability benefits automatically change to retirement benefits

2017-02-18 Disabilty benefit to Social Security:

Retirement benefits are reduced if you retire before your full retirement age. Why wouldn't you continue to collect SSDI until your full retirement age?

2017-02-05 Social Security Benefits:

Dianne,    No.    1. You cannot apply for spousal benefits until you actually retire yourself.    2. If you retired before your full retirement age, both your benefits and your spousal benefits would be

2017-01-31 Social Security:

James,    1. No, an applicant is only entitled to spousal benefits after s/he retires. After all, spousal benefits are the difference between 50% of the spouse's retirement benefits and the applicant's

2016-10-18 Social Security:

Roberta,    Married or divorced after 10 years or more, you are entitled to spousal benefits. However, if you retired at your full retirement age, your spousal benefits are only equal to 50% of your ex-spouse's


Ask A Question

Retirement Planning

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]