Special Education/Expert Profile

Ask A Question


Questions concerning special education: IEP, assessments, Due Process, mediation, resolution conference, federal law, state law, qualifying for services, residential treatment, special day classes, resource specialists, procedures, having your child assessed, adaptive PE, speech & language, non-public school, FAPE, and tuition reimbursement.

Experience in the area

I have been an education advocate representing students and parents for six years. My experience includes: representing my clients in IEPs, SSTs, Due Process, review assessment results for my clients, and mediations. I have represented clients with learning disabilities, autism, Downs Syndrome, cognitively challenged, emotional problems, learning disabilities, ADD/ADHD, and physical disabilities. I have also represented clients to County Mental Health Departments and Regional Centers. My clients range from pre-school to college students in many states.


I have a degree in Mathematics from the University of California with minors in Psychology and Physics. I also studied applied statistics in psychology at the graduate level. I have taught college classes, conducted seminars, written articles for various publications, and testified as an expert witness.

What do you like about this subject?

When done properly, special education can help students to over come a wide variety of challenges to reach their full potential. I get so much fullfilment in seeing my clients do well in school and in their lives.

What do you still hope to achieve/learn in this field?

Every day I learn more about this exciting field. There are so many ways to help students to overcome disabilities. Technology is going to play a big part in this in the future. But there will always be a need for dedicated, hard working special education teachers and service providers.

Something interesting about this subject that others may not know:

There are many services available to help students. But many don't know about Assistive Physical Education (APE), Occupational Therapy (OT) which includes overcoming sensory issues, Speech and Language services can include pragmatics (learning how to read others), and social skills (learning how to interact socially with others). Students with emotional challenges can even receive counseling.

Something controversial or provocative about this subject

Some school districts do a great job of identifying and serving special education students others do not. Under the law, schools are supposed to seek out and identify students potentially needing special education help. They are supposed to assess these students and provide then with the services they need based on the results of these assessments. This even applies to students in private schools.

This expert accepts donations:      

Average Ratings

Recent Reviews from Users

Read More Comments

    K = Knowledgeability    C = Clarity of Response    P = Politeness
Ildiko12/14/15101010Thank you so much for your quick .....
Shruthi11/12/1510Thank you.
Prashant S Akerkar10/19/15101010Dear Tim Thanks. Thanks & Regards, Prashant .....
Michelle11/02/14101010Thank you very, very much.

Recent Answers from Tim Runner

2016-10-24 Gifted programming special ed student:

Daniela,    I wish I could give you a simple answer, but I can't. First, it depends on how you approached home schooling. Did you enroll your son in a home school program through a charter school? If you

2016-09-18 ABA through insurance:

Mary,  You are going to have to decide what is most beneficial to your son. I have clients that have benefited greatly from ABA and others that have not made much progress. But you won't know until you

2016-09-09 Cse:

Lucille,  The federal law, IDEA, is very clear on this: IEPs must be scheduled at a date and time convenient to the parents. It goes on to say they must give you 15 day notice. Typically, they give the

2016-07-18 fba question:

LH,  Your school is not following the law. Once they agree to do an assessment, they have to give you an Assessment Plan within 15 days. Once  you sign the Assessment Plan and turn it into them, they have

2016-07-13 504:

Leann,  I am not a fan of 504 Plans for a number of reasons:   1. They do not require the same follow up with mandated annual meetings and triennial assessments.  2. Enforcement is much more difficult


Ask A Question

Special Education

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.