Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Expert Profile

Jack DeAngelis

On Vacation
returns 12/17/2016

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

Experience in the area

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.


see www.livingwithbugs.com/resume.html


Ph.D. in Entomology

This expert accepts donations:      

Average Ratings

Recent Reviews from Users

Read More Comments

    K = Knowledgeability    C = Clarity of Response    P = Politeness
Bec11/17/16101010Thank u for your quick reassuring response .....
jeffrey10/26/16101010Thank you for your quick responses.
Paul10/21/16101010Thanks for all your help, much appreciated .....
Susan10/19/16101010Dear Jack, thank you for you quick .....
Mark 10/12/16101010 

Recent Answers from Jack DeAngelis

2016-11-11 Succulent infestation & health risks for dogs & people:

KDS,    There are no insects or mites that infest plants (any plants) and also bite people or pets. It is possible that you are experiencing some type of allergic reaction to the plants such as a contact

2016-11-02 Asian Lady Bugs:

Rob,    Here's some general information about the Asian lady beetles in the US ( http://www.livingwithbugs.com/harmonia.html). I think it is best to just leave them alone at this point. Except for their

2016-10-27 Is this a bed bug?:

Michael,    I can't see much detail but the backend (?) looks like a cockroach. I think I can see a pair of cerci which are diagnostic for this group. See http://www.livingwithbugs.com/cockroaches.html

2016-10-26 Bed Bugs?:

Still a little blurry but the lighting is much better. These look like psocids. Psocids are harmless insects sometimes associated with damp/moldy conditions. They can, for example, be significant pests

2016-10-26 Bed Bugs?:

Jeff,    These are not bed bugs (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/bed_bug.html for comparison) but I can't see them clearly enough to be certain of an id. Can you get a closer photo without the glare?


Ask A Question

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


©2016 About.com. All rights reserved.