You are here:

Collections Law/Expert Profile

Ask A Question


I can answer most questions concerning bankruptcy, whether business or personal, including questions by debtors, creditors, persons interested in purchasing assets from bankruptcy estates, and the like. Also have expertise in tort law, French and Canadian law.

Experience in the area

Practiced bankruptcy for 27 years in California and taught bankruptcy for three years in Maine. This included Chapters 7, 9, 11, 12 and 13 cases, representing debtors, creditors (secured and unsecured), bankruptcy trustees, creditors committees, and persons interested in purchasing assets from bankruptcies. Debtors included persons with virtually no money up to large corporations.


Inactive member of the Bar of the State of California. Nonpracticing member of the Bar of Massachusetts. Formerly member of the Maine Bar and conseil juridique in France. Certified by National Committee on Accreditation in Canada.


Georgetown Law Review; California Bankruptcy Journal; Maine Law Review; Dalhousie Law Journal; University of Toronto Law Journal.


Harvard Law School (J.D. 1970; cum laude) and Pomona College (B.A., 1967; cum laude)

Awards and Honors

Selected as a "Superlawyer" in 2005 and 2006 for Northern California.

Average Ratings

Recent Reviews from Users

Read More Comments

    K = Knowledgeability    C = Clarity of Response    P = Politeness
michael02/11/16101010Thank you Mr. Hertz, for your prompt .....
Choo02/07/16101010Alright, thanks.
john miller12/06/15101010very helpfull

Recent Answers from Michael T. Hertz

2017-02-15 Debt collection from payday loans:

Generally unemployment benefits can be garnished only for spousal and child support or for money owed the state that issues the benefits. Be sure that your bank account is in your name only. You should

2016-11-06 When a person:

Your question is about Medicare and deals with rights that come into effect at age 65.  Therefore, I shall answer with respect to Medicare and not Medicaid (which is an entirely different program). Medicaid

2016-06-02 debts:

You have to be served with notice of the court case.   If it is served and then you pay the debt before the case comes up for a hearing, the judge may well award costs to the plaintiff.  Such a small amount

2016-05-28 debts:

He could sue for the unpaid amount plus 6% interest.  I'm assuming that the 6% would be applied only on the sums that are unpaid.  He could sue after one year for the unpaid amount, the interest, and court

2016-02-11 Need Garnishing/Locating Assets Advice:

Probably the best thing would be to see if any of them own real property. You could then file the lien against the property. I guess if I were in your situation I would pick one of those one-line services


Ask A Question

Collections Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]