Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Expert Profile

Ask A Question

John Stancil, CPA


Follow me on:


I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

Experience in the area

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.


FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders


The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.


DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University

What do you like about this subject?

I enjoy the dynamic nature of taxation, and the fact that it is always changing. I also enjoy helping citizens minimize their taxes, so they only have to pay the legally required minimum amount.

What do you still hope to achieve/learn in this field?

One can never know all the tax law, so I hope to increase what I do know, and keep up with relevant changes in the law.

Something interesting about this subject that others may not know:

It was not until WWII that the income tax became a mass tax. Prior to that time, only the very wealthy paid income taxes.

This expert accepts donations:      

Average Ratings

Recent Reviews from Users

Read More Comments

    K = Knowledgeability    C = Clarity of Response    P = Politeness
Barbara04/25/17101010Excellent and quick, thank you!
jeff04/22/17101010The response was very quick and concise .....
ash04/19/17101010 Thank you for your quick response

Recent Answers from John Stancil, CPA

2017-04-18 georgia state tax om 401k withdrawal:

Beverly,    Thanks for your question.    There is no required withholding on a 401(k) withdrawal for the state of Georgia.However, you are probably looking at something in the range of 6% tax.     I would

2017-04-14 ira:

Leo,     Thanks for your question.    When opening an account, or making additional contributions to it, you don't get any paperwork for file with your taxes.  Just deduct the amount of the deductible

2017-04-05 Dementia / Taxes:

Len,    Thanks for your question.    Generally speaking, those costs are deductible as medical expenses.    The rule states that amounts paid for qualified long-term care expenses are deductible  as medical

2017-04-04 If the State sales tax applies to customers outside my state:

Bob,    Thanks for your question.    Since she is picking up the product in NJ, it is treated as a NJ sale and should have sales tax collected. If you shipped it to her in Connecticut (assuming you have

2017-03-28 Incorrect Filing of LLC:

Debbie,    Thanks for your question.    Normally, when a husband and wife are joint owners of a partnership, they are permitted to file the results on a separate Schedule C for each of them.     However


Ask A Question

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]